Run The Farm News • Volume 11, Issue 2: Race Day Logistics 2022
To: All Who are Registered for Run The Farm
This note has information about the ELEVENTH annual Run The Farm 5 mile Trail Race on October 23, 2022 at Muscoot Farm
(map location: https://goo.gl/maps/39cxpsZEYRz)
Below are some very important instructions regarding the race.
Please take a minute to read through — it will help make your day run more smoothly!
[Note: if you haven’t signed up, click here to register now!]
The Muscoot Farm park staff, Westchester County police, and our volunteers will all be working to make it a great day and leave lasting memories for each of you.
We are especially excited about the kids race and we already have over 300 kids registered for Kids Run The Farm! Check the KIDS RACE LOGISTICS note for parents with kids running. Reading it will help you on race morning!
Here are some tips that you can incorporate into your plan for your morning:
1) ARRIVE EARLY Please plan to arrive at the park at least 30 minutes before your race (kids races start at 8:30am, 5 miler is 9:30am). Car pool if you can. The main parking is on the east side of Route 100 across from the main park. It is in a grass field and there will be Westchester County Police Officers directing the traffic and making sure pedestrian traffic is safe when crossing the busy Route 100.
DO NOT PARK BETWEEN THE ORANGE CONES ON EITHER SIDE OF THE ROAD. If the field parking fills up you will be allowed to park on the wide shoulder of Route 100 beyond the cones.
2) BIB PICKUP will be inside the white activity barn.
3) DRIVE SLOWLY and CAREFULLY on Route 100 and in the Lot. Watch the volunteers and officers who are directing the parking. PARK TIGHT. Plan ahead — carpool & consolidate 2 cars into one if you can.
4) LISTEN TO PRE-RACE ANNOUNCEMENTS Race Director Rob Cummings will have important information about the course and safety. We will be delivering last minute course instructions before the races so please be as quiet as possible during the short pre race announcements.
5) LISTEN FOR THE START We will have a unique start to send runners on their way…
6) IF YOU NEED TO STOP OR SLOW DOWN ON THE COURSE, pull off to the side of the trail! Especially at the beginning of the race which will be crowded. The start of the course has 0.5 mile of dirt farm roads and then 0.2 mile of meadow so there should be room to pass or slow down to reach your preferred pace. After the farmyard and meadow the course tightens up for the next few miles onto single track and some double track trails. There are two meadows in the woods at approximately 1.5 and 2 miles where it is wider and easier to pass. There is a big hill (aka “Godino’s Grind“) at around the 3 mile spot – if you have to slow down or walk up that hill, stay to the right.
7) STAY ON COURSE IF YOU CAN’T CONTINUE. There will be “sweeps” running and walking the course following the slower runners. Wait for the sweep runner to get to you to assess your needs. If necessary, aid can come to you on the trail.
8) RESULTS: Printed lists of finishers with time and place will be available soon after the finish at the bib pickup area and shortly after that on the website. Check results here at http://runthefarm.org/results. We plan to announce the winners of the kids races before the 5 mile race starts at 9:30am. We will announce the winners of the 5 mile race starting around 11:00am outside of the activity barn.
9) THANK A VOLUNTEER A tremendous amount of volunteer effort has gone into creating this new event. If you see a volunteer please say hello. This event would not be possible without their help. We also would like to thank the Somers Volunteer Fire Department for having their dedicated EMS crew standing by in case they are needed. We are also grateful for the wonderful cooperation from Jonathon, Mindy, the Muscoot Farm staff, and the County of Westchester Parks, Recreation and Conservation Dept.
10) SPEND YOUR FARM BUCKS Every finisher of the 5 Mile race will be handed one $5 “Farm Bucks” bill. (Kids race finishers will get $2 in Farm Bucks.) These Farm Bucks can be used like real dollars (on race day) at the Muscoot Farmers Market right near the finish area of the race. Our intent is to encourage runners to check out the market. Don’t worry, we will exchange the Farm Bucks for real money at the end of the market so the Farmers won’t be left with lots of colorful currency.
Remember, leave only footprints, take lots of pictures… (and upload them to our photo website!)
Please remember that because of the incompatibility with the farm animals there are NO DOGS ALLOWED at Muscoot. Trained and certified service animals are the only exception.
See you October 23rd at the Farm!
Good luck and have fun,
….Rob, Ciorsdan, and all of the dedicated volunteers
PS: Click here for Map and Directions to the Farm: http://runthefarm.org/directions/
and here for a map of the course: http://runthefarm.org/course-map/
Click here for the Frequently Asked Questions list: http://runthefarm.org/faq
Run the Farm is the fifth race in the Trail Mix Trail Series. The final race is Raven Rocks Run at Ward Pound Ridge Reservation on November 13, 2022.