Run The Farm News, Volume 4, Issue 1: Kids Run The Farm Logistics 2013
Dear Parents of kids who are registered for KIDS RUN THE FARM:
This note contains important information specific to the kids race at Muscoot Farm. Please feel free to get back to us with any questions or concerns that you have. Please take the time to read through the following information.
We have split the field for the kids race into two groups. It is critical that you arrive at Muscoot Farm early enough to park and pick up your Child’s number and get to the start area before 8:30.
1. The course is well marked with course marshalls at every intersection. Runners never cross an active roadway during the race.
2. All kids ages 7 through 12 are registered to run the 1.1 mile course. Their race will go off first at exactly 8:30am. Parents do not usually run with the older kids.
3. All kids ages 6 and younger are registered to run the 0.6 mile short course. Their race will start at 8:45am – after the older kids have finished. For this race, we ENCOURAGE a parent to accompany each child in the younger group. But — PLEASE DO NOT ENTER THE FINISH CHUTE WITH YOUR CHILD at the end of the race. (It can distract the race timer, resulting in inaccurate timing.)
4. Both races will start at the same place. The finish line and chute is nearby the start area for all races and is the same for both kids races.
5. Every participant will receive a cross country medallion at the race finish as well as a $2 FARM BUCKS certificate good for purchases on the day of the race. Special awards will go to the top overall boy and girl finisher in each of the two groups. The first boy and girl within each age will also get a special award. Awards will be presented at the conclusion of the 5 mile race as quickly as possible after official scoring has been done for all races.
6. All PARKING for the race will be in the large field across the road from the farm. Police officers will be directing the road traffic and seeing to pedestrian safety. Volunteers will be in the field directing car parking. Please follow their directions. DO NOT PULL INTO THE FARM YARD FOR ANY REASON. ONLY THE MARKET VENDORS HAVE THAT PRIVILEGE ON RACE DAY.
7. DO NOT PIN THE RACE BIB THROUGH THE TEAR STRIP AT THE BOTTOM OF THE NUMBER. The tear strip comes off at the finish and we use it to score the race times.
8. PLEASE BE SURE THAT YOUR CHILD IS LINED UP WITH THE CORRECT GROUP (older kids first, younger in the second race) BEFORE THE START.
9. Lastly, please don’t let your children feed or pet the farm animals. Human food is bad for them and the animals can be unpredictable.
NOTE: Kids in the 7-12 age group typically run without parents — but if you need to accompany them for any reason we ask adults please start in the back of the pack. This will minimize potential collisions between adults and children on the race course.
We will have water available but we always encourage all runners to bring water as well.
With your help we can make this a very memorable day for all of the young runners involved.
Rob, Judy, Tony and Dave